Monday, September 30, 2013

Ebb and Flow

Traversing through a large series of news articles I came across one from AARP.com talking about the top 10 drug families that mess with memory and cognative abilities. Reading through, every single medication that I was put on to treat my MS symptoms and bipolar disorder were  on that list. It completely explains why my mind took a nose dive shortly after my MS diagnosis, the drugs were killing it. Its frustrating though, that the stuff that was supposed to help had such negative side effects. I despise the thought of having to choose between living pain free and being able to think and function. That issue was a main reason for why I chose not to take anything for a very long time.

That being said, its been about two weeks since my infusion and I have two weeks before my next one and honestly its like I'm not on anything at all. So far, I like being on Tysabri, if the only thing I have to deal with is my own issues and anxiety around having IV's. Unfortunately, I've been battling some nasty cold bug/virus for a while now, so I'm not seeing much in the way of benefits. Being sick has made the fatigue worse, and when I'm not fatigued, the chest congestion makes running or any kind of cardio work out impossible. 

With the increased fatigue over theh past few weeks, coupled by this bug, I've gone the longest without working out than I've gone in years and I'm noticing more MS related issues cropping up again; pain, muscle spasms, more fatigue. I need to get back into working out, but it's a vicious circle once you stop, getting going again. I need to tap into the motivation I had in the begining.

On the bright side, I'm experiencing a small breakthrough in the mental fog I've been battling. I don't know why, but I guess it's all about ebb and flow... I can run and workout like a storm, but can't think to save my life then, I stop working out and my brain starts to turn on. Go figure... NaNoWriMo starts in a month, and I'm primed for a good run at novel writing this year. I've been planning a lot lately, trying to build on the spark that this lift in fog has created. I'm hoping I can build on it and keep the fog at bay, at least until December.

No comments:

Post a Comment