Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sitting on the Spectrum

Back when I was starting to get fit and drop weight I came to the realization that my MS is on the Autism Spectrum. Anytime I made a major change with my body, the MS starts to freak out. At the beginning of the year I started incorporating more exercise and activity into my routine and right after I started, my left hand went numb and stayed that way for about a month.

This is a pattern that has repeated itself over and over since I've been diagnosed. The moment I made a significant change my body would go all wonky. The difference in this round was the fact that I;

A.) I didn't freak out
B.) I pushed through and didn't back down

Despite the annoyance of having a numb hand I kept going and eventually my body adjusted and everything went back to normal.

Lately, since I've started my training, I've noticed more weakness on my left side. Once again, I make a change and my body freaks out. It's frustrating, annoying, and it means that I have to work harder to push through. It also means that it's important that I take my training slow and not push myself too hard too fast because the last thing I want is to shock my body so much that I wont be able to train because things don't work right.

This is MS... One day your fine and the next day something changes and you have no way of predicting what and when or how badly.

53 days until Bike MS and I'm at hurdle #1. Push through and get my body used to the new routine.

I want to thank everyone who has donated and contributed to my ride. I've met my $400 minimum fundraising goal which means that I will be able to ride. However, that's still not quite enough... all the money raised through fundraising goes towards research and hopefully a cure. So please, if you haven't had a chance to donate yet, please take a look at my Bike MS page. Any little bit helps to bring those of us with MS a step closer to a cure, and helps improve the quality of life for those who have been hit hard by this condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment