Saturday, March 20, 2010

Enjoy the little things

Ever since I had to stop working after my relapse, I’ve become a hermit. I stay home most of the time, I rarely go out anymore. Now, all this is fine sometimes being a hermit isn’t a bad thing, but sometimes I’ve found it more difficult to get up the energy and desire to go out and do something fun.
For the longest time, even before I had to stop working, I’d wanted to have hot pink highlights in my hair. At nearly 33, you would think that I’d gotten all the silly, ‘lets dye my hair weird colors’, out of my system. Since being diagnoses with MS, and more recently having the relapse, it’s become more important to me to enjoy the little things and not let myself be held back by the perceptions of how a married 30-something mom of 2 should behave. 
You just have to be a little silly every now and again; it’s good for you.
So, I now have a head full of very bright pink hair, and to use a bad pun; I’m tickled pink. The funny thing is that the simple (okay maybe not THAT simple) process of dying my hair has perked me up. I don’t necessarily want to stay cooped up inside all day. No matter how much you can say that you do something  drastic (say dye your hair a color so bright you glow at night) just to entertain yourself; you really want to put it on display. 
Sometimes you have to do something just a little crazy to jolt you out of a rut. Life isn’t all about living in a cave.


No comments:

Post a Comment