Thursday, February 11, 2010

It’s a good thing I have insurance, because my doctor apparently knows nothing...

Oh, here we go again.

I am so blessed to have an insurance company who knows more about treating my MS than my doctor. I feel sorry for the poor, uninsured folk, who have to go into debt to see their doctors. They forced to rely solely on their doctor’s years of training and experience to treat them. Where as I, having the good fortune to have insurance, get to have my doctor’s decisions and treatments reviewed by some grunt at the insurance company; and it’s a good thing too because my doctor sure doesn’t know what is in my best interests.

So, all mighty and knowledgeable insurance company, what treatment and medication would you recommend to treat my MS?

“Hmm... let’s see… ah yes, you doctor prescribed that you should take Betacrud to treat the MS, but have you given any though to trying, Ryblat?”

“Well, I don’t know... I tend to trust what my doctor says I should take.”

“Oh, but Ryblat is just as good as that… other stuff. Plus, we get this sweet deal with the manufacturer where it costs us so much less to have MS patients take Ryblat as opposed to the other stuff. Plus, man, for every patient we get set up with Ryblat, they hook us up with all sorts of sweet perks to keep recommending their product. You would not believe some of the… Oh, riiiiight, I’m not really supposed to talk about that.”

“Do I save any money taking Ryblat?”

“Let me see... you’ve first gotta meet your deductible, then your copay looks like it stays the same… so, nope, you don’t save a dime, but boy howdy do we save a TON! If we can get all you MS people on this stuff, well geewiz, my kids are gonna have a great Christmas year!”

o.O

“Oh yeah... I shouldn’t of said that...”

“So, what if I don’t want to take Ryblat, I want what my doctor says I should have.”

“Well now, weren’t you listening to all that? Ryblat is less expensive! We can’t let you get that other stuff until you at least try Ryblat. I mean, if it’s gonna do just as well as that Betacrud…”

“But I heard that people tend to react badly to it.”

“Okay, are you like stupid or something? So, it’s a little irritating for some people; thats how you know the drug is working. And, come on... the biggest selling point… it’s cheaper!”

“But I don’t want it…”

“To bad, it’s what we, the insurance company, says you have to take.”

“Are you all doctors?”

“Heck no! I got my insurance degree off of Photoshop!”

“And you know what’s better for me than my own doctor.”
“Well duh lady, it’s what the manual says... and I always do what the manual says to do.”

Oh yes, having to have insurance in order to see a doctor is a huge benefit; where would I be with out my insurance company? Bankrupt, homeless, but healthy?

* * *
Please consider this post to be my middle finger to my insurance company. They’re gonna learn real quick that I’m done jumping through their hoops, and boy... I’m looking to get me one of them hoops so I can wrap it around some insurance grunt’s scrawny necks...

No comments:

Post a Comment