Friday, July 26, 2013

Medication (part 2)

So my appointment with the Rocky Mountain MS Center at University Hospital in Denver was... Interesting. First off, I've never been to see someone who actually specializes in MS, I've only ever seen regular neurologists who are knowledgable about MS but see and treat a wide variety of other neurological conditions.

There is a big difference seeing someone who really knows MS. One big one being the information they have especially when it comes to medication. For over two years I've been out spoken against my taking the disease modifying medications. I've hated how intrusive into my life they can be, the side effects, and the psychological impact of having to deal with a daily reminder that I am sick. Plus the fact that I could just as easily relapse on meds as without, so why make myself feel miserable if the MS is still going to get worse?

I've shared my issues with other doctors but none of them listened, they either pushed different meds on me or just ignored me entirely. No one cared about my perspective. 

It turns out that the standard of care recommended by most neurologists for MS is backwards. They recommend courses of treatment that are the least effective and it isn't until all else failed and the disease has progressed that they actually start trying treatments that do something but at that point there's been significant progression and damage. 

The doctor I saw yesterday wants to treat me as aggressively as possible with a medication that has a strong track record or actually doing something, including helping with current symptoms. The only thing is, I have to spend 3 hours in a clinic every 28 days getting an infusion of the med and aside from the possibility of an infusion reaction I would not have other side effects. Well, that and there is a chance of developing an infection, but the risk factor is pretty low.

I'm seriously considering going on this medication. If the low to no side effect claim holds true, there is no reason not to even with the risk of secondary infection.  There is a lot I have to do before starting... They took a ton of blood yesterday and ran all kinds of tests, I'll need an MRI. I go back in a month, and if all goes well I may go on a new med. 

No comments:

Post a Comment