Saturday, June 4, 2011

T-Minus 21 Days: Failure is not an option

When I first thought about doing Bike MS, my thought was... "I'm going to attempt the challenge." A healthy attitude towards a major physical feat. However, over the past several weeks my attitude towards riding isn't really "I'll try" but "I will".  I will ride Bike MS, and I will complete the 40 miles.

Today I rode into Boulder for the first time ever. I needed to rev up my training by going for longer distances and riding to Boulder was a perfect step up. When I planned my route my mindset wasn't... "I'm going to try to make it to Boulder." I had just decided that I was going to go and ride to my favorite coffee shop, it never once occurred to me that I wasn't going to succeed.

When I rode into Boulder proper, I felt this major sense of accomplishment; I'd met a major personal goal.

Let me just say, the ride in wasn't easy. I spent most of the ride on dirt trails with LOTS of hills. Not much fun but GREAT conditioning for my body; it made riding on pavement seem like cake. Riding back was a lot easier... a lot more down hill, I was more familiar with the route, and since I'd already made it to Boulder there was absolutely no question that I wasn't going to make it home.

Failure is not an option... Even if I am the last person to cross the finish like on the 25th, I will make it the full 40 miles come hell or high water.


For me, the most important thing about Bike MS isn't the money I raised, or going the distance... it's knowing that no matter what happens in my future, I will be able to fight my way back. I did it once, and look where I'm at now...

No, failure is NOT an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment