Saturday, June 1, 2013

First Tri of the season

Today was the 2013 Boulder Sunrise Sprint Distance Triathlon. Two year ago, I did my first triathlon ever at the 2011 Boulder Sunset Sprint Distance Tri and today I remembered why I got into triathlon and how much I love this sport. Todays race was AWESOME!!

Now I should preface that leading up to this event, my training was sorely lacking. I just wasn't motivated to get out on the bike as much as I should have not to mention I had the brilliant idea to switch out my regular pedals for ones with clips and shoes that clip in... a week before the race. Plus, last night I went to a party to celebrate a good friend's awesome new job and enjoyed pizza and margaritas, the corner stone of any good pre-race meal. Suffice it to say, I wasn't feeling overly confident heading into today's event.

The most consistent part of my training was the swim and ironically, it was the hardest part for me today. However, it wasn't lack of skill or ability that got me but that the water was so fricken cold that right off the bat my calf muscles threatened to seize up on me. I managed to do reasonably well, despite the cold until about 200 meters from shore, when another swimmer accidentally came up on me causing me to tense suddenly. My left calf instantly stopped working and I couldn't move my leg at all. Initially I was worried that I was finished and would need to be pulled out of the water, but I flipped onto my back and did an easy back stroke while kicking with my one good leg until I felt reasonably certain that I wasn't going to drown and could start to work my left leg again. The leg cramp incident screwed up my swim time, but I finished and made my way to the bike which was the area I trained on the least.

As I mentioned before, I'd switched out the peddles on my bike a week prior to the event. Everyone and his brother who cycles had told me for years that I really needed to get clip peddles with shoes and cleats if I wanted to get the most out of my road bike. I'd been resistant to clips because the idea of being clipped into my bike was unnerving... what was I going to do if I to make some sort of quick evasive maneuver? Finally, after some research and asking questions, I settled on the types of bike peddles that would work for me and then took advantage of REI's great Memorial Day sale to pick them up.

Now up to this point, I'd had all the accoutrement that goes along with cycling with the exception of the pedals and shoes and let me tell you... I still managed to feel like some kind of cycling poser, wannabe, when ever I encountered other cyclists on the road or at events. So, having real cycling pedals finally, I wanted to put them on my bike and truly fit in with the crowd. (Seriously, its like high school all over again and like high school my insecurity was all in my head) Of course, in my adolescent desire to 'fit in' I broke a major rule of racing which is... don't switch out your gear right before a race. 

Needless to say, the bike portion of the race had the potential to really suck, however what little training I did with my new pedals coupled with my familiarity of the course help make the ride a whole lot of fun, and at that point I started really enjoying myself. About halfway through the bike part I came across another participant on the side of the road and ask if she was okay to which she replied 'No'. So, even though it was going to mess with my timing, I stopped to see if there was anything I could do to help her. (Apparently a couple of spokes on her back wheel broke) She was amazed that I actually stopped, she said she'd been there for a while and everyone else just flew past. There wasn't much I could do to help, and right as I was getting back on my bike to head out a SAG vehicle came to assist. Even though there wasn't anything I could do, the girl was grateful that I stopped.

Traditionally, the run portion of a Tri is the one I both dread and struggle with the most. I am just not a good runner no matter how much I run. Today how ever was a slightly differ story. I was still slow, I had to walk portions, but the temperature was delightfully cool and the sky full of clouds, and the run just didn't suck.

All in all, despite not training well, the leg cramps, and stopping to aid the cyclist, this was still my best triathlon. I completed the race in 2 hours 35 minutes, a personal record. I have a long road ahead of me to get to Ironman, but so long as I get focused on training, it's a rewarding one.

No comments:

Post a Comment