Saturday, March 10, 2012

Boulder Half Marathon: Strategy, strategy, strategy...

Four weeks left to go until I run my first half-marathon and my training is now all about strategies. I know that physically I can run the whole thing just fine, I have the strength and endurance to run long distances, but now I gotta figure out how to run smarter.

This whole time leading up to the half-marathon, I haven't really followed any set training routine. I just went with what my body told me, I'd run for time and distance when I could and ease up when it felt like I'd pushed too hard. Reading up on running tips and techniques for training for a long distance run I learned that I should have been following a set schedule; oh well, not much I can do about that and honestly I think I'll be fine with the way I've been doing things. However, armed with more information I'm figuring out the best way to run a half-marathon; running smart not hard.



These next few weeks I'm to be working with my gear, what I'm going to wear on race day (and no it's not about vanity) and how I'm going to run the course. I figure that it's important to have all of those things figured out well in advance so on race day all I'll have to focus on is running and not fighting with gear or clothing.

The next thing to work on, and it's probably one of the most important things, is my actual running strategy. I've learned from personal experiences as well and reading up on running, that long distance running isn't all about putting one foot in front of the other, you have to be really mindful of what you're doing and how you're doing it, there's a lot of discipline to running; like not chasing down and beating up the cyclists who don't tell you they're passing on the trail so you can move out of the way. You have to be really aware of how much energy you're using so you can conserve it and not burn out halfway through the race, and you can't ignore the importance of hydration and nutrition while on the course.

Not having run a marathon of any kind before, I was nervous at the prospect of running two or three hours continuously. However, after reading up on what to bring and what to expect, I learned it's really important to use the aid stations that are set up at intervals on the course  and doing so doesn't make you a wuss, it makes you smart. Now when I run long distances, I set up predetermined 'aid stops' along my route where I pause for a couple of minutes, make sure I have some water, Gatorade, and a fruit chew or two, then I continue on feeling more refreshed and energized. I tried that strategy on my run today for the first time, and not only did I have more fun running, I finished the run in less time than I expected and thats with two 'aid stops'!

So, by April 1st I should have all my gear set up, tested, and ready to go. I'll have figured out exactly what top and pants to wear, and how to combine Body Glide and Moleskin on my feet to keep from blistering. I will have figured out what nutrition and hydration combination to have with me and a plan for using the aid stations effectively.

I can so do this, I can rock this half-marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment